Thursday, January 9, 2014

Christmas 2013 in Review

So I figured I should document that yes, Christmas happened in our house.  I struggle with the holidays, not b/c I don't enjoy the magic of the holidays with small children, because I do.  I struggle with the amount of extra work/stress it generates in my life making that magic hard to appreciate at times. Because Johnny and I both work for ourselves we don't really get a vacation, which just means along with all the shopping/decorating etc I just have to keep up with my normal workload.  Thank goodness for Amazon-I purchased 100% of Christmas gifts online this year! 

 I made an effort this year to be selective in the holiday activities we participate in as we often find that "attraction" type events are just not worth the trouble/money/frustrations they tend to create with young children.  These sorts of bad experiences a la sitting in an hour of traffic, walking a mile from the parking lot, freezing cold temps, shoulder to shoulder crowds all leading to crabby screaming children and crabby screaming adults.  All we are  trying to do is look at some darn Christmas lights that we spent $30 a ticket on.  Can you tell we've been down this road more than once?  We are so fortunate to live in the neighborhood that we do.  The kids get to visit Santa for free, with no lines, and free pictures-because seriously I would NEVER in a million years go to the mall and stand in line for 3 hours with 3 children to pay $30 for a picture of my child screaming on santa's lap.  Along with Santa, our neighborhood has a Candlelight Tour of Homes every year where 10 homes are showcased-Johnny and I were able to go this year and really enjoyed the night out.  Honestly, with making an effort to be selective in our holiday activities, and getting organized about my holiday chores-I made a calendar after Thanksgiving giving myself deadlines to get shopping done, gifts mailed, gingerbread house assembled etc, and it did make things a little less daunting.  

Christmas was certainly magical with two little ones participating in the excitement this year-I cannot even imagine next year when there will be a third hanging out waiting for Santa too.  So here's the photo tour of our holiday season, and as usual while it was fun, I'm so glad that I have a full 12 months before I have to do it again!
Santa visits were a hit with June and Hank.  Lucy wanted absolutely nothing to do with the man.



Probably my favorite new tradition-we cut our own tree this year and it was a perfect activity for our family.  We went toKinsey Family Farm and you get to ride a tractor out to cut your tree down, roast marshmallows over a fire, and they even have a petting zoo which is always a hit in toddler world. 



Another first for us this year, and will be added to the annual tradition list-the holiday Christmas parade.  Perfect for our crew, plus we take Marta to get there which is an event in itself.  

I let the kids put the ornaments on the tree this year-they were highly clustered in groups around the bottom, but at least I didn't have to do any of the work!

Oh yeah, Monkey the elf caused all sorts of hilarity in our house this December.  Many nights I would be up feeding June at 3am and realize I didn't move Monkey! Thank goodness for late night feedings, otherwise Hank would have been very angry as he woke every morning in December immediately on a mission to find the elf. 

 I just love Christmas babies-especially ones with huge cheeks

 Baking cookies for Santa

Again, I gave Hank and Lucy the chore of decorating the cookies this year.  This sort of activity is right up Hank's alley, and he spent a good 3 hours meticulously decorating each cookie.  The rest of the season was spent saying "Hank, next year we should go easier on the red hots"

The stockings-all 5 of them!-hung by the chimney with care

Christmas before....

and after...

I have to say the best moment of the whole season for me was on Christmas morning I heard Hank come out of his room run into the tree and then rush into our room screaming "he came! Santa really came!" I guess he wasn't convinced that the whole Santa thing would happen??  Then he took off into Lucy's room to wake her up and tell her that Santa came.  They were both super pumped, which as a parent really makes the extra effort worthwhile.  

The aftermath

Junebug spent this year observing from a distance, and let her brother and sister do her opening for her.  Next year, I suspect she'll be right in the middle of the action.


 My favorite part of christmas? Peppermint bark.

Lots of adorable Christmas jammies



No comments:

Post a Comment

Lilypie First Birthday tickers